There are two types of pre-existing diabetes: type 1, or a lack of insulin production; and type 2, or an inability to respond to insulin. Type 1 diabetes always requires insulin therapy, whereas type 2 diabetes may be managed with diet, exercise, oral medications, and/or insulin.
Women with pre-existing diabetes are at higher risk for pregnancy complications, such as:
- Fetal loss and structural abnormalities
- Abnormal fetal growth and amniotic fluid levels
- Hypertensive disorders of pregnancy, including preeclampsia
- Preterm delivery
- Difficult delivery for the mother and/or the baby
- Need for cesarean delivery
- Metabolic abnormalities and jaundice for the baby
- Higher rates of childhood obesity and diabetes for the offspring
Experience has shown that the best outcomes for diabetic pregnancies occur in women with good blood sugar control. Scottsdale Perinatal Associates, LLC has a team of healthcare providers with a proven record of success in the management of women with pre-existing diabetes in pregnancy. Our relationship-centered approach combined with your commitment can help you have a healthy pregnancy.
We’re Here for You
Most women with pre-existing diabetes experience healthy pregnancies and births. Our team of board-certified Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists are experts in the management of pregnancies with diabetes and can help answer any questions you may have. We are here to empower you with the information and tools that you need to stay healthy during your pregnancy and plan for a safe delivery.